Thursday, March 26th 2020, 1:13:59 pm
Historian and Professor Thaddeus Russell returns for a three-part discussion about problems in academia and the challenges facing this generation of college students.What's new?
Thaddeus has launched the first phase of his Renegade University.Listener Questions We Address:Peter M. - Is intellectual conformism among academics a purely academic problem, or does it extend into other social/intellectual spheres? How do we actively combat it, and what does he plan to do to make sure that the same problem doesn't evolve at Renegade?Phillip F. - Great question. Maybe Renegade (and other universities) can somehow incentivize intellectual diversity?Patrick E. - I'd be interested in his thoughts on accreditation or some equivalent in a post university future.David G. - This is a point Jordan Peterson has been bringing up in interviews and other public appearances for the past few months: now that the universities have lost sight of their authentic mission, it may be that the "true university" - to the extent that such a thing exists today - lives on the internet, and it is only a matter of time before some clever entrepreneur cracks the code of building a new and better credential. This is exactly what Zak Slayback appears to be attempting, as discussed on episode #454, but with an eye more toward career-building as opposed to real education. Peterson seems to think it's a matter of designing the right kind of exam - something akin maybe to the bar but measures a more broad knowledge base than just law - that an individual would be able to leverage in the marketplace upon passing.I'd be interested to hear Thad's thoughts on this. Does he have a game plan for building a better credential? What does it look like?Phillip F. - If you weren't a writer/academic, what would you be doing?Leah H. - Has he heard of Praxis? What's his take on their apprenticeship model?Other Topics and Tangents:
- Remembering the OJ Simpson trial
- government is a monopoly of violence and Marxists don't mind
- merging one's identity with America and with the government
- the pervasiveness of intellectual conformism
- Thad isn't overwhelmed or discouraged by the current condition of alternative media
- Harvard's fake news list
- what is the neo-liberal university the left is talking about?
- there's a surplus of Ph.Ds
- the accreditation mafia; how it works
- Can Betsy De Vos help Renegade University?
- what are the forces protecting the intellectual monopoly in academia?Look Closer:
Thaddeus Russell's Site - www.thaddeusrussell.comPrevious School Sucks Show With Thaddeus Russell - http://schoolsucksproject.com/category/podcast/a-renegade-history-course-with-thaddeus-russell/